Thanks to the latest Google indexing update, many website owners out there are asking about recovery from Google Penguin update using social networks. This article looks at two important parts of the answer: what Google Penguin is, and how you can recover your online standing using social networks.
What Is Google Penguin? Before we look at recovery from Google Penguin update using social networks, let’s first define what Penguin is. As you probably already know, Google releases changes to its search algorithms from time to time. These algorithms are designed to make the internet a better, more information intensive place, and to improve the experience for internet users. The changes that Penguin brings build on the last big change, code-named Panda, and it’s aimed at reducing duplicate content online, and on improving the quality of content out there.
Basically, if your site has relied on less than stellar quality content, or on black or grey hat SEO, then you might very well be in trouble!
How Social Media Can Help
The changes that Penguin brings is likely to negatively impact content heavy sites in many ways – not least of which because spun articles and low quality content is not really a viable option anymore.
There are ways to counter that effect though and social media is one of them – and in several ways.
1) If you own a small, content based site, adding a social networking element to your site itself is an option. There are cheap and free options out there, and they allow you to build an online community, and to have a constant supply of natural, original content!
2) Linking your social media profiles (for instance a Twitter Ticker or a Facebook box) on your website is another way to keep your site posting original, high quality content without breaking the bank on content creation.
3) Ramping up your social media activities is another good idea. Since you’re likely to suffer at least a little in the Google search results until you find your feet, driving traffic from your social media profiles to your site might just fill the gap.
4) Networking is another big opportunity to make recovery from Google penguin update using social networks work for you. Liking or connecting with related but not competing social network groups can boost your visitors, and that means more revenue – whether it’s ads or sales.
5) Multimedia is another good option. Make a low-cost YouTube video, post it on your social network pages, link to your site, and see your traffic grow.
The biggest problem for the owner of smaller websites has always been balancing cost and traffic, and until we all figure out how to tweak our sites to make the most of the Penguin search system, that’s going to be a little harder.
Thanks to social networks though – whether it’s YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or any of the others – and a targeted marketing plan, you can get more out of Penguin without bankrupting your business.
Getting to the top of the search rankings is still possible with Penguin – but it’s going to be a bumpy ride, and it’s the sway marketers that will stand the test of time.
Did you enjoy this article?
Get Free Updates