These days many blog have 8-10 or more authors such as Mashable and Engadget. Managing a multi author WordPress blog is great because unlike a single author blog , multi author blog is more likely to grow up fast as it is updated everyday which will result in getting direct visitors. Google loves regularly updated blog and rank them much higher in search engine.
Just like that, I got an email few days from my friend Simmeon who invited me to his new project and told me that he is building a team to run a multi author blog. I got really excited and happily accepted his offer as it was something new for me ;).
I will add few challenges we faced and few tips we planned to add in to our blog and will be best for you to apply on your multi-author blog.
Choosing a team , well this is not an easy task because high-end bloggers are busy wont give a damn about your new project and you definitely don’t want newbies on your blog. You want a team who knows how to write for readers and can contribute regularly at your blog.
Seems like a tough job yea? I mean who would want to write good content for someone and that too on a new blog.
This is one of the biggest challenge you will face in starting a new multi author blog , so you should look for bloggers who are :-
- Your good friends, whose blogs you have seen and have personally liked their writing
- Have good influence in Social Media
- Willing to contribute regularly on your blog.
Send them an email about your proposal and if you have a good reputation in social media then you will amazed by the bloggers who will happily accept your offer.
Ok , so I am guessing you are ready with your team and now its time to set up a blog.
Getting a Domain & Setting Up a Blog
This step can be done before getting team members for your multi author blog as domain might attract good bloggers (authors).
If you have done this then move on to next point.
This is an easy step , you can buy a domain and hosting from bluehost, which we recommend but you can choose your favourite reliable shared hosting for a start. To setup a multi author blog you can follow these quick instructions after getting a domain and hosting.
- Install WordPress
- Setup Account as Contributor for all the authors
- Install premium theme ( Suggested Thesis or Genesis )
- Give contributors the controls to upload files.
- Contributors should be able to use seo plugins so they can optimise their content.
- Install Jetpack and give your authors the right to see the stats.
Those are the basic you need to start a WordPress blog , here is a quick list of some advanced plugins that you might need to consider installing on your new multi author WordPress blog
Ok , so we are done setting up a blog for our authors and everything looks greats. Moving forward to the biggest challenge “Getting Content”
How To Make Your Authors Write More for you blog!
Content is a biggest asset of your blog , without content your blog is nothing. After you have set up an awesome team and a nice WordPress blog with great theme and plugins, it time to get some content.
This is one hell of a job ,like I said before that no one would want to start writing for a new blog when they are getting nothing out of it. Your author will get lazy and won’t feel like giving out their valuable content when they can post it on their blog and gain the value for their website. Am I right?
So lets work on getting your authors to stick to writing , here are few tips you can apply :-
- Incentives – This is a great way to attract your authors , by letting them place their Adsense codes on their post they can earn from their posts, and as it is multi author blog, readership will grow fast and hence the income too so bloggers will try to post more on this blog to earn more. This can easily be done by plugin which let multiple authors to post their Adsense codes automatically. Its called WordPress Multiple Ad Management.
- Blog Roll Links – Who doesn’t love them? everyone wants to get blogroll link to their personal site, so what you can do here is add a blogroll link bar in the footer saying “Meet the Authors” and give them links link “Saad Naeem from Seoallrounder” . Trust me this is going to attract a lot of author to write more and with the help of php coding what you can do is , customise the widget the so it shows the author with most posts on top, hence creating a competition between your authors.
- Featured Author Widget – This idea will increase the quality of your blog , you can decide that the number of post which gets the most comments or most shares, the author of that post will be selected to be on sidebar top widget, linking to his social profiles and getting another backlink to gain more exposure.
Those are really amazing ideas to start a make your authors stick to your multi-author blog and have been already implemented on many successful blogs.
Advantage of a Multi-Author Blog on Social Media
Last but not the least, social media is great way to kick off your new WordPress site. I don’t know about you but I have 3500+ friends on Facebook , twitter and subscribers, so imagine that all your authors have 2000+ fans (as i said before , select author which have good social media influence) , so if you have 8 authors , that means 16000+ friends, am I right?
One share from 8 authors and your post will reach out to 16000 users! it seems like I exaggerating here , but at least 10,000 friends will get a chance to read your post. That is close enough to make your post viral and hence it will make your blog VIRAL!
Now its your turn
Are you planning to manage a multi-author blog? if so, then what are your strategies to keep on getting great content from your authors and did this post help you in creating a successful blog? Your ideas are most welcomed below